WATCHUNG, NJ - The first ticket has been ripped and the new Cinemark theater is open in Watchung. (Story continues below video.)
Cinemark Watchung and XD Theatre held a pre-opening VIP event on Wednesday, April 17, 2019, featuring a ceremonial ticket ripping with Cinemark executives and Somerset County officials, and movie screenings of a choice of 10 films.
“We use the slogan the best seat in town because we actually believe that it’s true,” said Bryan Jeffries, Vice President of Marketing and Promotions at Cinemark. “When you get in there today you’re going to see these nice recliner seats. With the push of a button the feet go all the way up and the seat goes back... and our secret weapon is the heated seats!”
He explained the competitive pricing getting some appreciative nods when he said, “Make sure you all come on Tuesday when ticket prices are $5.50 all day and all night.”
Jeffries got a chuckle from the crowd when he said,”I heard a buzz go through the crowd on Chick-fil-A, which will be opening across the street, “I thought free movies were something.”
Michael V. Kerwin, President & CEO of the Somerset County Business Partnership welcomed Cinemark to Watchung and thanked them for choosing Watchung and adding to the assets that Somerset County has to offer.
The Mayor of Watchung Borough, Keith Balla, thanked all of the laborers who worked on the site.
The first Cinemark movie theatre in Somerset County, the newly-constructed theatre’s grand opening to the public is Thursday, April 18, 2019. The 10-screen theatre in Watchung is located at 1670 Route 22 East and features heated Luxury Lounger electric recliners in all auditoriums and an XD auditorium.
“We are excited to bring Cinemark’s top-of-the-line features and innovations to the Watchung community,” stated Mark Zoradi, CEO, Cinemark. "Moviegoers can now enjoy ‘The Best Seat in Town’ as they make our first Somerset County Cinemark location their entertainment destination for years to come.”
The location was once the home of Sears Automotive, across the street from the Sears store where a beloved mural hung for more than 50 years. Amber Murad, the chair of the Watchung Historical Committee, told the story of the mural and announced that it’s restoration is nearly complete.
At the new Cinemark theatre, guests can look forward to seeing a high resolution photograph of the ‘Legend Of Watchung” mural, taken by Robert Gallucci, at the entrance to the 10 screens.
Cinemark guests will also experience cutting-edge technology and customer-preferred amenities such as:
- Ten ultra-modern auditoriums with wall-to-wall screens and enhanced sound systems;
- Cinemark Luxury Loungers – electric-powered, plush, oversize recliners with footrests, swivel trays, cup holders and heat-controlled seats;
- A Cinemark XD auditorium – the No. 1 exhibitor Premium Large Format (PLF) in the world, featuring state-of-the-art picture and sound quality;
- 4K digital projection powered by Barco projectors and RealD 3D capability in several auditoriums;
- Reserved seating with online, kiosk and app ticketing capabilities;
- A concession stand offering a variety of food and beverage options including freshly popped popcorn, fountain drinks, pepperoni or cheese pizzas, Hershey's Chocolate Chip Cookies, Edy’s Ice Cream and an added selection of hot foods made fresh;
- Special discount pricing for Senior Mondays, Discount Tuesdays, Student and Active Military, and;
- A party room available to rent for birthday parties and other celebrations.
Guests can further enhance their moviegoing experience by signing up for Cinemark Movie Club, the monthly in-theatre membership program for $8.99 per month, plus tax where applicable, which provides exclusive benefits including 20 percent off concessions, rollover and companion tickets, reserved seating and no online fees. For more information about the Movie Club, visit www.cinemark.com/movieclub.
Stay connected through Cinemark's social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@Cinemark and #Cinemark).
Cinemark is a leading domestic and international motion picture exhibitor, operating 546 theatres with 6,048 screens in 41 U.S. states, Brazil, Argentina and 13 other Latin American countries as of December 31, 2018. For more information, go to investors.cinemark.com.