SOUTH BRUNSWICK, NJ - On Friday, October 16th, 2020, a South Brunswick hotel was terrorized by a guest who pointed a gun at members of the staff. Louis Smith, age 46, threatened to harm guests and staff members after getting into an argument with an employee at the Hotel Vicenza on Route 1 South. Police set up a perimeter around the hotel and were able to de-escalate the situation leading to Smith’s arrest. No one was injured, according to a press release from the South Brunswick Police Department.

Police arrived to the hotel around 2 P.M, Smith was pacing around the second floor of the hotel. Smith repeatedly yelled profanities out the window, including taking a cell phone video of himself blowing kisses to the police. He also ranted about diabetes and the 2020 presidential election, according to the press release.

The police were able to contact Smith’s sister on the phone. At 4:45 P.M, Smith opened the door and was apprehended in the breezeway by South Brunswick police at the scene. He was placed under arrest and taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick for evaluation.

Sign Up for Franklin Township Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

While at the hospital, Smith continued to insult and attack South Brunswick police officers and hospital staff. He threw a bottle of urine at two nurses and spat at two police officers who were guarding him. Mr. Smith has been charged with two additional counts of aggravated assault for spitting on the officers. Both officers required medical treatment, according to the press release.

After searching Smith’s hotel room, police found a Taurus 9MM handgun, two fully loaded magazines, 27 ounces of marijuana, a pair of black gloves, a black ski mask, ziploc bags, and a scale.

Smith has been charged with aggravated assault with a firearm, unlawful possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon by a convicted felon, terroristic threats, and distribution of CDS. As of today, he is still at RWJ Hospital in New Brunswick. He is being guarded by police and is waiting to be moved to a secure facility.

“So often you only hear of these cases when officers are forced into a deadly situation. Here officers were confronted by a gunman who threatened to harm others and was acting out. Officers used de-escalation techniques and time to safely take him into custody. This is a credit to the officers and their training,” said South Brunswick Police Chief Raymond Hayducka in a released statement, “Too many people don’t realize the risks and dangers officers are willing to take to keep their communities safe. This group of officers showed the best of who we are.”