SOMERSET, NJ - Saturday night was busy for the local fire companies and police responding to two active fires in town. 

The first fire started in a kitchen around 5:49 pm, and was likely caused by a microwave, according to police.

Police say the homeowner suffered from smoke inhalation but refused medical attention. The house was deemed uninhabitable at this time. 

Sign Up for E-News

The second fire started in a garage around 6:35 pm and was likely caused by a cigarette according to police. 

"The fire was isolated to the garage area of the structure and the residents were allowed to return into the home," FTPD Lt. Phil Rizzo said in a statement. 

The Franklin Township Office of Fire Prevention investigated both fires. The fires do not appear to be suspicious, according to officials.  

Have a news tip, or feedback? Email FranklinTownship@tapinto.net or call our tip line 908-279-0303 ext. 257.

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS for breaking news, traffic/weather alerts and special offers!