FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, NJ - Today the National Weather Service issued a Winter Storm Warning and snowfall totals of eight to 12 inches are expected.
The Winter Storm Watch is expected to start at 7 p.m. this evening and last through 3 a.m. Thursday, according to the NWS.
Related article: Warming Centers Set to Open Wednesday
Below is a list of March 7 updates:
In the schools
- All public schools will be closed
- St. Mathias School will be closed
- Rutgers Prep will be closed
- Ceder Hill Prep will be closed
- The Franklin Lady Warriors WIN 71-60
- Quail Brook Senior Center will be closed
- Richard Hall Mental Health Center will be closed.
- For psychiatric emergencies, call (908) 526-4100.
- Municipal offices are closed
- Somerset County Clerk's office closed at 4 p.m.
- SCAP is closed
Follow these guidelines to stay safe, healthy and warm:
- Try to stay indoors when weather is extremely cold, especially if winds are high.
- If you must go outdoors, make trips outside as brief as possible.
- Dress in layers of warm clothing if you plan to be outdoors.
- Protect your head, neck, hands and feet from the cold by wearing a hat, scarf, gloves and socks.
- Offer to help people in your neighborhood who may have limited access to heat.
- Check frequently on older adults and people who are ill.
- During peak cold times, visit indoor public facilities such as shopping malls, libraries or senior centers, if you don't have enough heat in your home. Be sure to check that they are open before venturing outdoors.
- Do not leave pets outside.
- If you use an outdoor generator at home, place it at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows to avoid exhaust gases entering the home.
- Stoves, barbecues and ovens can produce carbon monoxide gas, which can be deadly when used to heat a home. Never use these appliances in place of approved heaters such as electric, natural gas or fireplaces.
- Children, the elderly and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during cold snaps. Extra precaution should be taken to ensure they don't get too cold.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home to reduce the risk of poisoning. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and muscle and joint pain. Exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide could lead to death within minutes. If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, take immediate action: call the New Jersey Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for immediate treatment advice. Those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should be immediately taken outside into the fresh air. It’s important that they be taken to an emergency room for immediate medical treatment.
REPORTING POWER OUTAGES:
Editor's note: This article will be updated when/if new closures are announced.
Visit and read your exclusive Franklin news at TAPinto Franklin Township 24/7 for FREE: TAPintoFranklinTownship.net.
Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox.