OLEAN, NY — The Greater Olean Area Chamber of Commerce held its first-ever StrOlean in August 2017. This new event was defined as an event to be held in downtown Olean; event goers were able to saunter, amble, wander, walk North Union Street; and able to enjoy food, music, fine arts, classic cars and fun for all ages.
June 8 will be the first of three Friday StrOleans planned for 2018. The other two are scheduled for Aug.17 and Oct. 26.
“More than 50 organizations have signed up to participate in next week’s StrOlean,” Meme K. Yanetsko, GOACC chief operating officer, stated.
Up and down North Union Street, many of the brick/mortar stores will be participating in the POPUP MARKETplace where they will host events inside/outside their stores as well as have sales/info. Many vendors will come to the downtown to display and sell their artisan items, catalog/home party, farm market stands, artwork, jewelry and more as a POP UP Market – a temporary ‘store’ front in downtown Olean.
Events will be plentiful too. Many of the restaurants throughout Olean will have music entertainment as well as present a Grub Crawl item. GOACC is asking the many restaurants to place on their menus a walkable item — so the participants would do a GRUB crawl during the StrOlean, tasting an appetizer or small portion at the restaurant, then moving on to the next tasting down the street.
Events that are scheduled to date include:
- Max Out Deadlift Competition at Eade Fitness 24/7;
- Quick Art Center art classes;
- Plinko game for prizes at Community Bank;
- Olean Public Library strolling with their mobile used book giveaway cart;
- Neighborhood School of Dance tapping for tips and will also host a dance game;
- Allegany Alumni and Friends Band music at JCC;
- Open gym at Storm Athletics;
- Chair massages at Radiant Health Spa;
- Zumba class hosted by Olean Family YMCA and Mix 101.5;
- Badminton contests, jewelry specials, wine and appetizer tastings at Ask Design Jewelers;
- Static display of large model aircraft;