OLEAN, NY — Fifty-two units and more than 800 adults and children took part in the 34th Annual Santa Claus Lane Parade before more than 2,200 spectators Friday.
“The embellishments of the four snowflakes, eight holiday stars and four more feet to the panel holiday tree) in the main roundabout were a great addition to Santa Claus Lane,” Meme Krahe Yanetsko, chief operating officer of the Greater Olean Area Chamber of Commerce, which coordinated the event, said. “The weather was a bit cold, but was great for watching the parade.
Awards were presented to several groups and organizations in a variety of categories:
- The Blitzen Award sponsored by Olean Times Herald was awarded to Olean Cub Scout Pack 617 as the most photogenic float or unit.
- The Seasons Greetings Award sponsored by Olean PC Repair and Security Cameras by Joe Duplechian was awarded to the DownBeat Percussion Band as the best newcomer to the parade. The Rudolph Award sponsored by National Grid was awarded to the Enchanted Mountain Jeep Wrangler Club as the float with the most or best use of lights.
- The Snowflake Award sponsored by the Street Classics Car Club was awarded to the Olean Youth Hockey Organization as the unit with the most participants in the parade.
- The Angelic Spirit Award sponsored by Mandy’s Flowers was awarded to the Knights of Columbus Council 338 as the most spiritual/religious float or unit.
- The Elves Award sponsored by Owl Home Groups was awarded to Paul Brown Motors as unit that best typifies the holiday through the eyes of a child.
- The Jingle Bells Award sponsored by Milestone Financial Strategies was awarded to the Neighborhood School of Dance as the best theatrical (music/dance) float or unit.
- The Sleigh Award presented by the Bantelman Agency was awarded to the Limestone Volunteer Fire Department as the most decorated larger truck.
“The Greater Olean area is a well-diversified community and as such people from all walks of life and religion attended the parade to celebrate the gifts and graces of the holiday seasons,” Yanetsko said “It is truly a night when the community comes together.”
Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox.