ST. BONAVENTURE, NY — An air handler malfunction caused a fire alarm that resulted in the evacuation of  Falconio Hall on the St. Bonaventure University campus Thursday.

After a smell from the malfunction cleared, students were allowed to return to their rooms, according to an email from the SBU Office of Communications.

A seized-up belt on the motor of an air handler on the roof of the building triggered the alarm, and local fire departments responded to investigate, along with members of the university’s security staff, according to the email.

Sign Up for Greater Olean Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The university’s facilities department is working to repair the handler.

Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox. 

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS to get news as it is happening.