OLEAN, NY – Residents of the Olean City School District voted to approve a $24.8 million capital project on Tuesday. The measure passed by a vote of 394 to 42.

Olean Superintendent Rick Moore was pleased with the outcome because of how the project will benefit students. 

“We’re really excited; it was time we did some of these upgrades, and it will be really nice for our students to have them,” Moore said. 

Sign Up for Greater Olean Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Improvements at Olean High School will include renovations to the atrium and locker rooms and the addition of a music room.

The project also will fund a turf field with lights and renovations to the courtyard and pool at Olean Intermediate Middle School.

Moore said the turf field will make it possible to increase students' outdoor activity time during physical education classes. 

“It’s going to be really nice synthetic turf that is going to help extend our outdoor time; I would say almost double it, and the fact that will have lights makes it really awesome,” he said.

At Washington West Elementary School, the nurses' suite, classrooms and corridors will be renovated, and the school’s entrance will be expanded.   

East View Elementary School renovations include improvements for the nurses' suite and cafeteria and the replacement of the public address and clock systems.

New York State will provide 94.6% of the funding; the other 5.4% will come from the district's capital reserve fund.

According to Moore, the project will go into the design stages and then go to the State Education Department for review. The project will be put out to bid next year. Construction will begin in 2022. 

Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox. 

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS to get news as it is happening.