Sen. George Borrello is offering virtual tours of the New York State Capitol.
“Visiting the capitol is truly an unforgettable experience,” Borrello said. “While it is currently closed to visitors because of the pandemic, this fully narrated virtual tour offers students and people of all ages the opportunity to explore some of the capitol’s most historic spaces and impressive features.”
The video, accessible on Borrello’s Senate website, highlights several of the most famous features of the capitol, including:
- The Flag Room, which contains more than 1,000 flags from the War of 1812 to the Gulf War;
- The Million Dollar Staircase, which took 500 stonecutters more than 14 years to complete;
- The Executive Chamber, which contains a desk used by every governor since 1881;
- The Assembly Chamber, the largest room in the capitol, and
- The Senate Chamber, which is considered one of the most beautiful legislative chambers in the world.
“The New York State Capitol is ‘majestic’ in the truest sense of the word,” Borrello, who represents the Greater Olean area, said. “Although I had been to the capitol several times in my 10 years as a county elected official, I hadn’t heard the remarkable story behind this beautiful and historic building. It is a landmark that truly reflects its status as the seat of New York State government.”
Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox.