ST. BONAVENTURE, NY — Uncertain has been a word much used as the coronavirus pandemic continues.
That word most definitely applies to the SBU’s athletics department.
While fall sports, including soccer, seem unlikely to start until the spring, basketball season is slated to begin on time in November. The university has implemented a number of health and safety protocols for student-athletes and coaches, and it has also started to think about fans, especially men’s basketball season ticket holders.
In an email to TAPinto Greater Olean Tuesday, Scott Eddy, SBU’s assistant athletic director for athletics communications, said the athletics department communicated with its basketball season ticket holders earlier in July when it offered renewals.
New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on July 21 that fans would not be able to attend professional or collegiate sporting events in the fall, but did not make any clear decisions on winter sports, such as basketball.
Eddy said season ticket holders will have the option to receive a refund or opt out and return in 2021-2022 if they cannot attend games in the Reilly Center this season. The athletics department has looked at a number of options if fans are permitted to attend basketball games this winter, but could not release specifics.
“At this time they are all hypothetical,” he said. “Our staff has been looking at these potential scenarios since March, and we will be prepared whatever the situation may be. St. Bonaventure will not make a public plan for attendance until after the state tells us what is permitted.”
Related Story: SBU Basketball Players Return to Campus for Summer Workouts
For more information on the Coronavirus in the Greater Olean area, visit TAPinto Greater Olean's Coronavirus Updates page, which is updated continuously.
Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox.