Olean General Hospital and Bradford Regional Medical Center, member hospitals of Upper Allegheny Health System (UAHS), have expanded COVID-19 testing in the communities.
In a press release issued Wednesday, UAHS provided the information that antibody testing is being offered at both hospitals and their laboratory testing centers in New York's Cattaraugus and Allegany counties and in Pennsylvania's McKean County.
Antibody testing requires a blood draw, and patients must have a primary care provider prescriptions to receive tests. Appointments are not necessary. Patients need to simply come to OGH, BRMC or one of their laboratory draw locations during normal business hours. The antibody test does not check for the virus itself. Instead, it looks to see whether the person’s immune system — the body’s defense against illness — has responded to the infection in the past.
Often called a serology test, the test looks for antibodies in the blood. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the body makes antibodies when it fights infections, such as COVID-19. (The same happens when a person gets a vaccine, such as a flu shot. And is how a person develops an immunity to a virus.)
“Giving community members the opportunity to obtain antibody testing will help determine how prevalent the disease is in our community, slow the spread of infection and help keep people safe,” William Mills, MD, chief medical officer for Upper Allegheny Health System, said.
"Offering community-wide antibody testing will continue to help provide important information about who has had COVID-19," Jeff Zewe, RN, president and CEO of UAHS, BRMC and OGH, said. "From a public health standpoint, that’s important. Previously, we had made the test available to all our employees and area businesses. Now we are pleased to offer antibody testing to the community-at-large. We are doing all that we can to expand testing and ensuring access in the community for anyone who wants or needs to get tested."
Test results will be available through providers' patient portals.
Complete lists of UAHS laboratory draw stations are available at these sites:
- New York https://www.ogh.org/programs-and-services/laboratory/
- Pennsylvania https://www.ogh.org/programs-and-services/laboratory/
UAHS testing locations are below:
- OGH Main Laboratory, located within OGH on the first floor, 515 Main St., Olean, NY 14760, Phone: 716-375-6046. Fax: 716-375-6047. Hours of operation: Monday-Friday: 7 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday: 7 a.m.-1 p.m.
- OGH Laboratory West-End, located within the Medical Arts Building, Suite 105, 2223 W. State St., Olean, NY 14760. Phone: 716-372-2678. Fax: 716-375-6585. Hours of operation:Monday-Friday: 7 a.m.-noon and 1-3:30 p.m.
- Laboratory Service Center, 403 N. 8th St., Olean, NY 14760. Phone: 716-375-7039. Fax: 716-373-1560. Hours of operation: Monday–Friday: 7 a.m.-12:30 p.m., 1:30-4 p.m.
- Salamanca Health Center, Southern Tier West Center for Regional Excellence 4039 Route 219, Salamanca, NY 14779. Phone: 716-945-0989. Fax: 716-945-5379. Hours of operation: Monday-Friday: 6:30-11:45 a.m., 12:30-3 p.m.
- Patient Service Center, Franklinville, 86 Main St., Franklinville, NY 14737. Phone/Fax: 716-676-5080. Hours of operation: Tuesday: 7 a.m.- 12 p.m., 1-3:30 p.m. Thursday: 7 a.m.-noon, 1-3:30 p.m.
- Delevan Health and Dental Center, 38 N. Main St., Delevan, NY 14042. Phone: 716-707-7049. Fax: 716-707-7057. Hours of operation: Monday-Friday: 6:30 a.m.-noon, 1-3 p.m.
- Patient Service Center, Cuba Memorial Hospital, Cuba, NY 14727. Phone: 585-968-6693. Fax: 585-209-4386. Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 6:30 a.m.- noon, 1-3 p.m.
- BRMC Outpatient Laboratory, 116 Interstate Parkway, Bradford, PA 16701. Phone: 814-362-8252. Fax: 814-362-8243. Hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 5:30 a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 7-11 a.m.
- Smethport Family Practice, 406 Franklin Street, Smethport, PA 16749. Phone: 814-887-5655. Fax: 814-887-1911. Hours of operation: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 6-10 a.m.
For more information on the Coronavirus in the Greater Olean area, visit TAPinto Greater Olean's Coronavirus Updates page, which is updated continuously.
Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox.