OLEAN, NY — Combustible items left too close to a gas heater caused a fire that resulted in an estimated $5,000 damage to a two-and-half story duplex apartment building on East Henley Street Saturday, according to a news release from the Olean Fire Department.

The fire occurred late Saturday afternoon and was contained by 4:30 p.m., about 10 minutes after firefighters arrived at the buildings. No injuries were reported.

According to the news release, the fire was confined to the living room of one of the units, but smoke filled an adjoining apartment.

Sign Up for Greater Olean Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The structure was ventilated, and the apartments were turned back to the tenants.

Sign Up for E-News to get top stories delivered daily to your inbox. 

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS to get news as it is happening.