HAMILTON, NJ --  Citing their "responsibility to ensure the safety, security, and well-being of our students, staff, and community stakeholders," the Hamilton Township School District will join others in Mercer County in moving to a "remote learning plan", according to a letter released by Superintendent Scott Rocco Friday.   

Beginning on Monday March 16 and until at least Friday, March 27, students will "no longer report to their school buildings, rather they will be provided their education in their home setting." The District will reevaluate the situation during that time to determine if remote learning needs to be extended for a longer timeframe. 

"As a district, we have worked tirelessly over the last few weeks to prepare for this possibility," said Rocco in his Friday letter. "Our remote learning plan consists of a mixture of on-line learning opportunities for our students who have Internet access with use of a compatible device (available via teacher webpage), along with a series of traditional learning activities consisting of books, instructional packets, supplementary handouts, and other resources, etc. for our students who do not have either Internet access and/or a compatible device (instructions provided by teacher).

Sign Up for Hamilton/Robbinsville Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

"Our goal within this plan is to provide equitable access for all students while at home during this time," said Rocco.

At a Thursday press conference, Rocco said that 85 percent of students would be able to do their school work online while the other 15 percent would be able to use more traditional methods such as textbooks. 

In addition, the District suspended or postponed all athletic programs during the remote learning period of time and will work with the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) "to develop a plan moving forward upon our return to school."

The District had previously suspended/postponed all other school events and activities including High School Proms and play productions that will be rescheduled. Kindergarten registration at Sayen, Wilson, Kuser, Langtree, Robinson, Lalor and Mercerville elementary schools will be postponed. 

For students who utilize the in-school breakfast and lunch programs, food service pick-up will be available at Hamilton High School West, HHS North, HHS East, Sunnybrae Elementary, Kuser Elementary, and Wilson Elementary) on Tuesday, March 17 and on Tuesday, March 24th between the hours of 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. The District will provide five days’ worth of food one time per week.

Additional information on the School District's actions is available at www.hamilton.k12.nj.us/

Follow us on Facebook and sign up for TAPinto Hamilton/Robbinsville E-News alerts to be the first to read about all things local!

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS for breaking news, traffic/weather alerts and special offers.

Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Elizabeth Meyers and tell her about it