HAMILTON, NJ -- To help Hamiltonians stay out of the extreme heat expected to continue, Hamilton Township Senior Center will be a cooling station on Tuesday for residents who may not have access to air-cooled homes.
The cooling center at the Senior Center located at 409 Cypress Lane between 10 am an 4 pm on Tuesday, July 28.
To prevent any potential spread of the coronavirus, temperatures will be taken at the door, and masks and social distancing between groups will be required. Access to the Center will only be limited at 24 percent of its capacity.
The Township shared tips for residents on ways to save energy and money on your bill when air conditioning is often running a lot.
- Don't cool an empty house or business - set your thermostat higher when you are away;
- Close blinds and draperies facing the sun to keep out the sun's heat;
- Don't cool unused rooms - Close the vents and shut the door;
- Ceiling fans cool fast and cost less than air conditioning - in hot weather, set your ceiling fan to spin quickly, counterclockwise to push air downward towards the floor;
- Seal holes and cracks around doors and windows with caulk or weather-stripping
Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Elizabeth Meyers and tell her about it