Schools are the heartbeat of a community, and selecting effective leadership is the responsibility of all its people. My name is Pat Caruso and I’m running for re-election to the Hasbrouck Heights Board of Education.
Before joining the board in 2013, I spent 4 years as a substitute paraprofessional in our district working with students in all grade levels and throughout all of our schools. This experience gave me insight into our system and enlightened me as to how I could contribute.
In my tenure on the board I have been pleased to be a part of a board that has completely updated our curriculum, technology, and security in all schools. While serving as President I was able to accomplish the following:
- Completed and approved plans to relocate the offices at Euclid and Lincoln which increased security in these buildings.
- Initiated the rebuilding of our music program. New staff has been hired and many instruments that were out of circulation for years have been repaired. Our choir, band and orchestra participation is rising!
- Successful negotiation of a new teachers contract before the previous one expired.
- Approval of the 5 year curriculum cycle
- Approval to return to the 8 period day which has resulted in additional course opportunities for our students
There are many positive things happening in our schools. Most notably:
- State, AP and SAT scores are rising
- Significant technology improvements
- Developed mental health improvements for students with our wellness class at the high school
- Increased Guidance support for students
- District rating is at an all time high
I take my responsibilities to our schools seriously. My attendance at committee and public meetings is a priority. I have also regularly attended BCSBA meetings where board members from across the county meet to discuss problems facing our schools. I have been personally asked to judge spelling bees, geography bees and mock trial events. I have attended talent shows, plays, concerts, college fairs, scholarship dinners and assemblies, along with many end of the year events held to honor our graduates. I have worked tirelessly to support our staff and students and will proudly continue to do so if I receive your support and your vote on Election Day.
Thank you for your consideration.