HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, NJ - Hasbrouck Heights Fire Department responded to a smoke and fire incident at the high school and middle school Tuesday morning.

According to Hasbrouck Heights Fire Department Second Assistant Chief Pat Hayes, the department responded to a call at 9:51am. An HVAC motor burned out in causing a fire in the unit on the roof above the New Gym. Smoke went into the system, and a duct detector activated. A Class 3 Officer at the school noticed visible smoke in the building and pulled the alarm, evacuating the building of students and staff.

HHFD and Hasbrouck Heights Police responded to the scene, and Wood-Ridge Fire Department Truck 904 provided mutual assistance, and PSE&G was on scene. After the fire was extinguished, the fire department measured for and found no carbon monoxide in the building and deemed it safe. Staff and students returned to the school 45 minutes later.

Sign Up for Hasbrouck Heights/Wood-Ridge/Teterboro Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The New Gym was closed for the day.

“Everybody worked very well together,” said Hayes. “The operation went smoothly.”

The district sent notification to parents by text and email.

 

TAPinto Hasbrouck Heights/Wood-Ridge/Teterboro is Hasbrouck Heights, Wood-Ridge and Teterboro’s free daily news source, and is the official newspaper of the Hasbrouck Heights Board of Education and Hasbrouck Heights Borough Council.

Sign up for our FREE daily eNews.

Like us on Facebook  and follow us on @TAPintoHasbrouckHeightsWood.RidgeTeterboro and Twitter @HHeightsWRidgeT