HASBROUCK HEIGHTS, NJ -- A Hero’s Welcome Northern New Jersey Chapter is looking for volunteers to assist with a Warrior Bead project to support veterans and military families. It will take place on Thursday, September 7, from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Hasbrouck Heights VFW.
Rose Pagan is spearheading the effort and is in need of two dozen volunteers to help assemble 300 Warrior key chains. The assistance of Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, community service students and other volunteers would be welcomed. The Warrior key chains will be distributed to Vietnam veterans and Gold Star families throughout New Jersey.
Each key chain has a card explaining the symbolism of each bead and a message of gratitude. For the Vietnam veteran key chain, the yellow and red beads represent the flag of the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam), and the green beads represent the Vietnamese jungles.
For the Warrior key chain, each color has a special meaning:
- Gold beads represent the Gold Star families who lost a hero;
- Blue beads are for the Blue Star families who currently have someone serving;
- Black beads represent POWs and MIAs;
- Red beads are for the blood that was shed;
- White beads represent the purity of the cause;
- Blue beads are for the heavens above.
A Hero’s Welcome is an organization that ensures all service members receive a proper welcome home.
For additional information or to volunteer, contact Rose Pagan at firstname.lastname@example.org.