WOOD-RIDGE, NJ -- The Wood-Ridge Fire Department will hold a Blood Drive on Friday January 5, from 3:00 pm to 8:00 pm at the Firehouse. The firehouse is located at 85 Humboldt Street, Wood-Ridge, NJ.
All donors will receive a $5.00 Dunkin Donuts gift card.
According to the American Red Cross:
- Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U.S.
- Nearly 7,000 units of platelets and 10,000 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.
- Nearly 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 pints.
- The blood type most often requested by hospitals is type O.
- The blood used in an emergency is already on the shelves before the event occurs.
- According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.69 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2017. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.