WOOD-RIDGE, NJ -- The Wood-Ridge PTA hosted a “Meet the Candidates” Board of Education forum in the Wood-Ridge Junior/Senior High School auditorium Wednesday evening. The event lasted approximately 90 minutes.
Moderated by current PTA President Lisa Biamonte-Crea, candidate Cheri Ottevaere, Pamela Baykal and Pat Ambrosio answered questions from the audience and discussed the "issues and challenges the district currently faces."
The candidates answered questions submitted by the audience earlier in the evening. They covered a variety of topics including:
- The district’s annual budget
- PARCC scores,
- Managing per-pupil spending,
- Hiring/training of special education teachers with Orton-Gillingham and assistive technology,
- Title I funding,
- Support for special education students,
- School choice and how to keep high school students in district,
- Increased enrollments due to the Wesmont development,
- Professional development for staff for students with ADD/ADHD/dyslexia,
- Keeping students in district instead of with the South Bergen Jointure.
Each candidate introduced themselves with an opening statement and had two minutes to answer each question. There were no closing statements. A timekeeper kept the candidates and evening on track. Any questions submitted that were not addressed during the evening were given to each candidate separately so that they may choose to answer it on their individual social media site.