ENGLEWOOD, NJ  -  State officials have identified the second presumptive positive case of novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, in New Jersey, it was announced Thursday afternoon.

The individual, a female in her 30s, is a Bergen County resident. The individual, who has mild symptoms, had her specimen collected at Englewood Hospital and is isolating at home until the New Jersey Department of Health deems her medically cleared.

The first presumptive positive case of COVID-19 in New Jersey was announced on March 4. The individual, a male in his 30s, is hospitalized in Bergen County and has been hospitalized since March 3.

Sign Up for Hasbrouck Heights/Wood-Ridge/Teterboro Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

The Administration also announced immediate restrictions on state-related business travel for state employees. Out of an abundance of caution, the State suspended all international travel for state employees until further notice. All domestic out-of-state travel on state-related business must be approved by the Governor’s Office, including same-day travel. 

“Since learning about the widespread novel coronavirus last month, my Administration has been actively engaged in implementing precautionary measures, as well as a comprehensive preparedness and rapid response plan to contain the spread of COVID-19 in New Jersey,” said Governor Murphy. 

“These two cases of COVID-19 do not come as a surprise, as our state has been prepared, for weeks, for the eventuality that one of our residents would test positive for the coronavirus,” said Acting Governor Sheila Oliver. “We put a plan in place for preparedness and rapid response and the threat to the public remains low.”

The presumptive positive result came from a sample tested by the New Jersey Department of Health at the New Jersey Public Health Environmental Laboratories (PHEL) and is now being submitted to the CDC for confirmatory testing. State and local public health authorities are proceeding with the public health investigation and response activities as if this was a confirmed case. The hospital is working closely with the Department of Health and continues to follow all infectious disease protocols. Working with the local health department, the New Jersey Department of Health is tracing close contacts of this individual and is taking appropriate public health actions.  As of Thursday afternoon, the state Public Health and Environmental Labs have tested a total of 13 people, 11 tested negative and two tested positive.

To date, the 24/7 NJPIES hotline (1-800-222-1222) has received more than 1,421 calls from the public and can accommodate callers in multiple languages. 

 

TAPinto Hasbrouck Heights/Wood-Ridge/Teterboro is Hasbrouck Heights, Wood-Ridge and Teterboro’s free daily news source, and is the official newspaper of the Hasbrouck Heights Board of Education and Hasbrouck Heights Borough Council.

Sign up for our FREE daily eNews.

Like us on Facebook  and follow us on @TAPintoHasbrouckHeightsWood.RidgeTeterboro and Twitter @HHeightsWRidgeT