This time of year, from Thanksgiving through the New Year celebration, is a season that provides for us the opportunity to stop our busy lives for a moment and give thanks for our many gifts and blessings; it’s a time of birth and renewal. No matter what your religion or belief structure, it’s a time when we can come together and celebrate new beginnings.
Often, however, we get so caught up in the festivities that we forget the true meaning of the season; we are so involved in getting everything done, that we miss the message. We may be more cognizant of this fact during the holiday season, but in reality many of us miss the message every day, all year long. We spend so much time worrying about ourselves, fulfilling expectations, and striving to get ahead, that we forget that we are here to love others unselfishly and to help those less fortunate.
We plow through life with blinders on and are oblivious to what is going on around us.
I would like you to pause for a moment during this holiday season, as another year comes to an end, and examine your life. Take a look at where you are heading and see if you are pleased with the direction.
Ask yourself a few questions:
• When was the last time you held the hand of a friend in need?
• When was the last time you drove an elderly person to the supermarket or to a doctor appointment?
• When was the last time you offered assistance with no expectation of something in return?
• When was the last time you put the needs of another ahead of your own?
• When was the last time you decided that compassion was more important than being right and offered someone forgiveness?
• When was the last time you asked to be forgiven?
• When was the last time you said, “I love you”?
Use this special time of year to look within and allow your inner beauty to come out. Offer your gifts to others. Reflect on what is important and let the true meaning of life into your heart. Stop going through life mindless and self-centered. Slow down, take time to live, and share your blessings.