HAWTHORNE, NJ - The Hawthorne Board of Education has announced a vacancy, following the departure of Michael Sciarra to serve as a councilman for Ward 3.
The vacancy to be filled would be from the time of the appointment until the end of the calendar year, December 31, 2020, according to the Board of Education.
To serve on the Board of Education, eligible residents are required to send a letter which describes who they are, and the basis of their interest in the position offered, and they must be received not later than 4:00 p.m. Friday, February 21, 2020. The letters must be sent to the below:
Mrs. Trude Engle, School Business Administrator/Board Secretary
c/o Hawthorne Board of Education
445 Lafayette Avenue, Hawthorne, NJ 07506
Letters can also be emailed, sent to email@example.com
To be eligible, the following legal requirements must be met of potential candidates. A candidate:
- is a citizen of the United States of America
- must be at least 18 (eighteen) years of age
- must be able to read and write
- be a resident of Hawthorne for at least one year preceding the date of the appointment
- is not disqualified as a voter pursuant to N.J.S.A. 19:4-1
- is a registered voter in the district
- is not disqualified from membership for the conviction of crimes pursuant to
- N.J.S.A. 18A:12-1*
*Within 30 days of appointment to the board, a member must undergo a criminal history background check through the New Jersey Department of Education.
A special board meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 3, 2020, in the Board Room, to conduct interviews. Interested candidates will be notified of a time for an interview.
Hey there, reader! Do you want to chime in? Submit a letter to the editor of TAPinto Hawthorne
Sign up to receive FREE TAPinto news in your email inbox: www.tapinto.net/enews