HAWTHORNE, NJ - Sunday evening, the Borough of Hawthorne issued a statement regarding the coronavirus pandemic. The borough said, "The administration and the Office of Emergency Management continues to monitor the COVID-19 virus and increase mitigation plans and additional operational planning if needed. There are no known cases in Hawthorne."
The borough said that the administration had been communication "over the last few weeks" with the Office of Emergency Management, responders, in addition to authorities on the state and county level.
"All public and religious schools are closed," the borough said, but that local government services were "not disrupted."
"Residents are reminded to wash hands, clean surfaces, and limit larger social gatherings," the borough said. "If you don't feel well, call your local care provider for guidance in flu-like symptoms and a fever. When in doubt call 911. Please watch your local news media for updates, we will continue to monitor and advise the public accordingly if needed."
Locally, neighboring Fair Lawn had reported 3 cases of coronavirus, according to Bergen County Executive James Tedesco on Friday, while Woodland Park's mayor reported its first "presumptive positive" case. On Tuesday, Prospect Park Mayor Khairullah canceled borough recreational activities and reported a presumptive positive case which has since come back as negative. In Paterson, Dr. James Pruden of St. Joseph's Medical was admitted on March 6 and is receiving treatment.
As of 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, the New Jersey Department of Health reported 5 presumptive positive coronavirus cases in Passaic county.
Hey there, reader! Do you want to chime in? Submit a letter to the editor of TAPinto Hawthorne
Sign up to receive FREE TAPinto news in your email inbox: www.tapinto.net/enews