SOMERVILLE, N.J. – A Somerville man and five co-defendants have been indicted by a Somerset County Grand Jury on a variety of charges stemming from a 10-month investigation into drug dealing and the murder of a man in Franklin Township last year.
Derrick Carreker, 25, of Park Avenue, Somerville, was indicted for 3rd degree conspiracy to distribute a controlled dangerous substance, according to Acting Somerset County Prosecutor Michael H. Robertson.
Robertson identified the others facing charges as:
- Dashawn Carreker, 23, Seaman Street, New Brunswick was indicted for 1st degree murder (two counts); 1st degree robbery (three counts); 2nd degree possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose (three counts); 2nd degree conspiracy (three counts); 2nd degree unlawful possession of a handgun (three counts) 2nd degree aggravated assault, and 3rd degree conspiracy to distribute a controlled dangerous substance. Bail was set by the Superior Court Judge Bruce Jones, J.S.C. at $250,000 cash or bond.
- Emendo Hill, aka “Sport”, 27, of Vasser Drive, Piscataway, was indicted for 1stdegree murder (two counts); 1st degree robbery; 2nd degree possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose; 2nd degree conspiracy; 2nd degree unlawful possession of a handgun, and 3rd degree Hindering apprehension (three counts). Hill was arrested April 29 on Bayard Street in New Brunswick by detectives from the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office and the Franklin Township Police Department. He was lodged in the Somerset County Jail with bail set at $150,000 cash or bond.
- Divendra Bhim, 21, of Ray Street, Franklin Township, was indicted for 1st degree robbery; 2nd degree possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose; 2nd degree aggravated assault; 2nd degree conspiracy and 3rd degree conspiracy.
- Darral Black, 48 , of Berwick Circle, North Brunswick was indicted for 2nd degree possession with intent to distribute heroin, 3rd degree possession of a controlled dangerous substance, and 3rd degree possession with intent to distribute an imitation controlled dangerous substance.
- Darryl Latney, age 23, of Berwick Circle, North Brunswick, New Jersey was indicted for 3rd degree possession of a controlled dangerous substance.
Robertson provided the following timeline of the incidents that led to the indictments:
On June 24, 2015, at approximately 11:20 p.m. Franklin Township Police responded to a report of an aggravated assault at a Route 27 convenience store. The victim told police that he went to the Country Side apartments in the Somerset section of Franklin Township to meet with Bhim; Bhim and two other men robbed and assaulted the unidentified victim.
Bhim drove Dashawn Carraker and a third man to the apartment complex, purportedly to sell marijuana to the victim. Once there, Dashawn Carreker and a third man punched and kicked the victim, and struck him in the head with a handgun. The victim was transported to an area hospital where he underwent surgery for a broken jaw.
On Tuesday, June 30, 2015, at approximately 8:04 p.m. Franklin Township Police responded to a 911 call in the area of Hempstead Drive and found Francis Vandy, 35, a resident of Willingboro lying in the roadway with a gunshot wound. Vandy was pronounced dead at the scene.
Witnesses told police they saw a dark, four-door vehicle occupied by two black males flee after the shooting. Detectives learned that the victim had made arrangements to meet with Dashawn Carreker to purchase marijuana. The transaction was arranged by Derrick Carreker.
The investigation determined that Hill and Daswhan Carreker drove to the area to rob the victim, and that Dashawn Carreker shot and killed the victim during the robbery.
On July 1, 2015, detectives executed a search warrant on a Berwick Circle residence in North Brunswick. Dashawn Carreker was located inside the residence and was observed throwing away a handgun as he fled.
A quantity of suspected heroin, cocaine, and paraphernalia was seized by detectives during the execution of the search warrant.
On July 8, 2015, at approximately 1:22 a.m. New Brunswick police responded to a report of a robbery on Hartwell Street. The victim, a 32-year-old man, told police that as he arrived home from work and parked his vehicle, two men approached him, pointed guns at him, and demanded money. The victim reported that the suspect struck him on the back of his head with a handgun and stole his wallet, and personal belongings. The victim later identified Dashawn Carreker as one of the men who robbed him.
The investigation was conducted by Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office detectives, Major Crimes Unit, the Crime Scene Investigations and Forensics Unit, along with detectives from the Franklin Township Police Department, according to Acting Chief of County Detectives Timothy Fitzgerald, and Franklin Township Chief of Police Lawrence Roberts.
Other agencies assisting in the investigation include the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office, New Jersey Northern Regional Medical Examiner’s Office, New Brunswick Police Department and the North Brunswick Police Department.
The State’s case was presented by Acting Chief Assistant Prosecutor W. Brian Stack.