FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP, NJ – Sister2Sister, a non-profit organization that supports minority and underserved breast cancer survivors, is getting an early start on planning its 5K Breast Cancer Run & Walk For Life with an organizational meeting Thursday, Feb. 22.
Those interested are invited to the organization’s headquarters at 1201 Hamilton St., Somerset for the 7 p.m. meeting.
The event is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 6 at Colonial Park, 156 Mettlers Road, Somerset. Early registration is $25 through July 2; afterwards, $35. Seniors 62 and older and teens and children 8-17 will pay $25.
Help is needed in several areas, according to Rikki Lynn Hauss, a member of the Sister2Sister Network social services department:
- Marketing & Public Relations: Advertising by emails, distributing flyers and posters, writing letters to vendors and donors, contact with vendors, media outreach: radio, tv, newspapers and social media;
- Run/ Signup Database: Input participants that pay by check, troubleshooting sign up problems, track participant numbers, print reports on registration sign-ups onsite;
- Event Registration: participants can register at facility, 6-8 people to handle cash line, 2 people for runners;
- On-Site Logistics: familiarize with the park, make announcements - great for people with loud voices - make sure agenda is on schedule, maintain water stations, help with setup and clean up, safety, welcome tent, guest services, kids zone, balloons;
- Additional On-Site: t-shirt distribution;
- Course Marshall: monitors the trail either via bike or golf cart;
- Vendors: Assist vendors, offer water, verify payment;
- Refreshments: 8 people to hand out refreshments to participants.
Registration and check-in for both the run and walk events begins at 7:45 a.m.; The 5K Run begins at 9 a.m., and the one-mile walk begins at 9:25 a.m.
Sister2Sister will also host its 18th annual Breast Cancer Awareness Health Summit and Screenings in conjunction with Robert Wood Johnson/Barnabas Health on Saturday, March 24, 8-11:30 a.m. at the DoubleTree Hotel, 200 Atrium Drive, Somerset. Screenings begin at 7:30 a.m.
Guest speaker will be Dr. Lisa Herbert.
Several individuals and organizations will be presented with service awards:
Volunteer Service Award, Roslyn Gaynor, Elzina Von McCants and Kathryn Rochon; Survivor Service Award, Barbara Burton and Darlene Kornegay; Faith Based Church Service Award, First Baptist Church, So. Orange; Pearl Grace Service Award, Dance for the Cure; Outstanding Company Service Award, attorneys Heather Timmons and Jeffrey Farmer and Men on a Mission Service Award, Dr. A. Frizzel Davis.
Adult donation is $55, $65 after March 10. All tickets are an additional $10 at the door.
Payment can be made online at www.s2sscnj.org or by mail to Sister2Sister, 1201 Hamilton St., Somerset NJ 08873.
Call (732) 246-8300 for further information.