SOMERVILLE, NJ - A new historical marker in front of the Historic Courthouse on East Main Street was unveiled by local and county officials on Wednesday.
The sign recognizes several historic features in the immediate vicinity: the Somerset County Historic Courthouse Green, which includes the 1909 marble courthouse, the 1910 Lord Memorial Fountain at the corner of Main and Grove streets, and the 1897 former Dutch Reformed church that now serves as the jury assembly room.
The green also is home to two historical plaques, two meridian markers and a World War II artillery gun, as well as a time capsule placed in 1996 when the historic courthouse was rededicated after extensive renovations.
On hand for the ceremonies were: Somerset County Freeholder Director Pat Walsh; county Cultural & Heritage Commissioner Donald Esposito; Somerville Councilman Ken Utter; Freeholder Patrick Scaglione; Cultural & Heritage Manager Pat McGarry; Heritage Trail Association President Cindy Blumenkrantz,; Cultural & Heritage Program Coordinator Kaitlin Bundy; Freeholder Deputy Director Peter Palmer; Bridgewater Councilman Howard Norgalis; county Planning Director Walter Lane; and county Historic Sites Coordinator Tom D’Amico.
The sign is part of the Somerset County Historic Marker Program coordinated by the Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
Markers also have been installed at the African-American burial ground in Bedminster; the Van Veghten House in Bridgewater; the Abraham Staats House in South Bound Brook; the Kennedy Martin Stelle Farmstead in Basking Ridge; Washington Rock Park in Green Brook; and the Manville Public Library, commemorating a key encampment during the Revolutionary War. Additional markers are planned for the Van Horne House in Bridgewater and other locations.