BRIDGEWATER, NJ – The Somerset County Board of Chosen Freeholders joined the Heritage Trail Association to unveil a new historical marker at the Van Horne House at 941 E. Main St., across from the ballpark.
Built circa 1750, the Van Horne house was a key location in the Battle of Bound Brook in April 1777 during the Revolutionary War. Owner Philip Van Horne, “known far and wide as a gracious host,” served breakfast to British General Charles Cornwallis after the battle and a light supper to American Generals Benjamin Lincoln and Nathanael Greene. The house also served as headquarters in 1778-79 for General William Alexander (Lord Stirling), who was second-in-command under General George Washington.
The sign is part of the Somerset County Historic Marker Program coordinated by the Somerset County Cultural and Heritage Commission. To date, markers have been installed at the African-American burial ground in Bedminster; the Van Veghten House in Bridgewater; the Abraham Staats House in South Bound Brook; the Kennedy Martin Stelle Farmstead in Basking Ridge; Washington Rock Park in Green Brook; the Somerset County Courthouse Green in Somerville; and at the Manville Public Library, commemorating a key encampment during the Revolutionary War.
There are historical markers at various historic bridges throughout Somerset County as well: Opie Road over the South Branch Raritan River, Branchburg/Hillsborough; Georgetown-Franklin Turnpike over Beden Brook, Montgomery; Studdiford Drive over a South Branch Raritan River tributary, Branchburg/Hillsborough; Easton Turnpike over the North Branch Raritan River, Branchburg/Bridgewater; Dead Tree Run Road over Pike Run, Montgomery; Raritan River Greenway (Hunts Bridge) over the Raritan Power Canal, Raritan; Nevius Street over the Raritan River, Raritan/Hillsborough; Old Dutch Road over Peapack Brook, Bedminster; Griggstown Causeway over the Millstone River, Franklin/Montgomery; and the Pedestrian Overpass over Cloverleaf Drive, Bridgewater.