BASKING RIDGE, NJ – Rock climbs, white water rafting, kayaking and hikes are just some of the activities included in the Somerset County Park Commission Xtreme Adventure summer series for teens 13 to 16.
The one-day outdoor programs - there is one overnight scheduled - begin at the Environmental Education Center, 190 Lord Stirling Road.
No video games, no computers, just pure adventure are on tap. Two EEC Naturalists will lead every program, focused on fun, learning, and exploration:
- White Water Rafting, Tuesday, June 28, 7:30 a.m.- 6 p.m.
Head west to the Lehigh River and meet a licensed white water rafting guide who will lead a cruise down the rapids in a raft, finding a great spot for a picnic and a dunk in the water to cool off. Fee is $100 per student
- Stand Up Paddling, Wednesday, July 6 from 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. & Friday, July 8, same time.
Meet a professional at Spruce Run Reservoir for a proper lesson and guided excursion. Take in the scenic views while learning all you can about this fast-growing sport. Stay cool by spending the whole day paddling, splashing, and falling into the water. Fee is $150 per student. Trips are identical. Register for only one section.
- Waterfalls, Tuesday, July 12, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
This adventure will take participants on a journey to explore various hiking trails that will lead to hidden waterfalls. Fee is $50 per student.
- Hike and Swim, Tuesday, July 19, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
- Adventurers will hike to a section of the Appalachian Trail for a walk in the footsteps of famous hikers. Teens will learn the proper technique for following trail markers before being rewarded with a cool, refreshing swim at Crater Lake, a glacial lake at the top of the Kittatinny Ridge located in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. Fee is $50 per student.
- Kayak, Tuesday, July 26, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. & Thursday, July 28, 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
Adventurers will head south to the Wading River in the Pine Barrens to learn how to wet exit a kayak, discover proper kayak strokes, and finally put the skills to the test. Fee is $75 per student. Trips are identical. Register for only one section.
- Rock Climb, Tuesday, Aug. 2, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Adventurers will journey to the Shawangunks, also known as “The Gunks”, in the Catskill Mountain Range to meet a licensed climbing guide and hike a short distance to the rocks. Instruction on climbing, belaying, and repelling will be included. Fee is $200 per person.
Sedge Island Overnight, departs Tuesday, Aug. 9 at 8 a.m., returns Wednesday, Aug. 10 at 5:30 p.m.
Adventurers will journey to an isolated section of New Jersey’s largest estuary, Barnegat Bay for kayaking, snorkeling, fishing, birding, crabbing, and more. Teens are expected to help with group chores. Home cooked dinner is included. Fee is $225 per person.
Equipment is provided on all trips. Lunches are not included. Participants are expected to pack a lunch and snacks that can be carried in their own backpack.
Registration for select trips or for all nine trips begins at 9 a.m. Wednesday, May 18 in person or on-line at www.somersetcountyparks.org. Phone and mail registration begins at 11 a.m. A full non-refundable payment is due at the time of registration.