SOMERVILLE, NJ – A Plainsboro man has been sentenced to five years in a New Jersey State Prison following his conviction on a charge of second degree vehicular homicide connected to a collision that killed a 50-year-old Hillsborough woman in 2015.

Sahil Kulgod, 25 of Adams Court, Plainsboro, was sentenced by Judge Robert A. Ballard, Jr.  in Somerset County Court on Nov. 8th.. The No Early Release Act will require Kulgod to serve 85 percent of that sentence, or four years and two months, before becoming eligible for release on parole, according to Somerset County Prosecutor Michael H. Robertson.

Robertson provided the following details:

Sign Up for Hillsborough Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

Hillsborough Police responded tp a two-vehicle collision on Millstone River Road at 10:22 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 4, 2015 and found  a 2015 Ford Focus facing west across the north and southbound lanes. Police found a 1991 BMW 525i off the east side of the road against a tree.

The driver of the 1991 BMW, Nancy Louie, 50, of Hillsborough Township, was pronounced dead at the scene. She was wearing a seatbelt restraint at the time of the collision. A passenger in the 1991 BMW sustained minor injuries. Kulgod was the lone driver of the 2015 Ford Focus.

An investigation conducted by the Hillsborough Township Police Department and Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office Collision Analysis Reconstruction Team determined that the 2015 Ford Focus was traveling southbound on Millstone River Road at an excessive speed, failed to maintain its lane of travel, crossed the double-yellow lines and crashed into Louie’s BMW as she was traveling northbound.

Robertson said there was no evidence that alcohol or drug use, or distracted driving, was a factor in the collision.

The State’s accident reconstruction expert, Lt. William Pauli (Ret.), testified that Kulgod was traveling nearly twice the posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour and nearly three times the posted advisory speed limit of 35 mph. as he attempted to traverse a dangerous S-curve in the roadway.

The approaching S-curve was well-marked with curve warning signs, chevrons, and speed advisory signs, all of which Kulgod disregarded, according to the testimony. The Event Data Recorder in Kulgod’s vehicle confirmed a speed of 86.4 mph, five seconds before impact. The jury concluded that Kulgod knowingly drove recklessly and caused the death of Louie.

Kulgod was separately convicted by Ballard of reckless driving and failure to maintain his lane of travel.

The State was represented at trial by Assistant Prosecutors Matthew Murphy and John Ascione and paralegal Maria Ducca.