Hillside Public School district is dedicated to promoting high standards in curriculum, instruction, and student performance. The overarching goal of the district is to provide a safe, engaging and effective learning environment that meets the unique needs of each student. The district’s motto “Building Bridges to Family-School Partnerships” emphasizes our continuing efforts to build strong parent-community-school partnerships. When this goal is achieved, the entire community participates in ensuring that each student achieves academic excellence and develop respect for self and others so that they can make worthwhile contributions to society.
Dr. Sheard, along with the Board of Education has adopted the following goals and objectives for the 2019-2020 school year:
Goal 1. The Hillside Public Schools will promote the academic achievement of all students by challenging each student to perform to his/her maximum ability level.
Increase student achievement on state standardized tests by meeting the New Jersey Department of Education’s Annual Measurable Objective in English Language Arts.
Increase student achievement on state standardized tests by meeting the New Jersey Department of Education’s Annual Measurable Objective in Mathematics.
Increase the high school graduation rate by 3% as compared to the 2017-2018 school year by incorporating researched-based College and Career Readiness courses and programs.
Goal 2. The Hillside Public Schools will effectively partner with community stakeholders to provide on-going feedback on the effectiveness of services to students inside and outside of the classroom.
By June 2020, conduct at least four (4) Superintendent’s Quarterly Forums to foster parental as well as community involvement in the Hillside Public Schools.
To increase parental involvement and engagement in the educational process through strengthening the PTAs and expanding opportunities for parents to be active partners in their children’s’ education.
Develop and implement two (2) strategies to introduce 6th grade parents to the middle school and 8th grade parents to the high school.
Goal 3. The Hillside Public Schools will continue implementation of building upgrades including mandated ADA requirements in all buildings. Begin the process of energy upgrades (per energy audit) at the four elementary schools.
Goal 4. The Hillside Public Schools will work toward obtaining alternate sources of revenue to support the Hillside School District, including an expansion of activities related to the Hillside Educational Foundation.
In addition to these goals, greater measures of security have been implemented to ensure the safety of our educational community. Parents were notified of the following initiatives that will take effect in all Hillside Public School beginning in September:
- All visitors must utilize the main entrance doors only. All other exterior doors will be locked, and access will not be permitted during the school day
- Visitors will be screened upon entry to our school buildings
- Parents will be asked to schedule appointments when possible
- Students will ONLY be dismissed to an adult who presents a state id
- All visitors must adhere to sign-in/out procedures and will be given a name tag that must be worn while in the building and returned at the end of the visit
- A clear plastic tub (labeled “Student Drop Off”) will be located at the front entrance of each building to allow drop-off of lunch and other items as necessary. The items will be checked by school personnel and distributed accordingly