HOLMDEL: - Was it a bird or a plane? No, it was five high flying, talented gymnasts that were honored recently by the Holmdel Township Committee during a more than special 'Regular Meeting' of the governing body.
The honors were for their athletic accomplishments at the 2017 USA Gymnastics Trampoline & Tumbling National Championships. The Championships were held from June 27th - July 2nd, in Milwaukee, WI.
All 5 gymnasts live in Holmdel, and train at the Elite Trampoline Academy in Red Bank, NJ. They are coached by former World Champion Tatiana Kovaleva and 2012 & 2016 Olympian Steven Gluckstein.
The honorees are:
1. Ava Hernando - competed in the Youth Elite 11/12 and was named Trampoline National Champion and placed second in the Synchronized Trampoline Youth Elite 13/14.
2. Ava Dehanes competed in the Level 9 and 10 and under and was named Trampoline National Champion; she placed second in the Double-mini Trampoline and also placed second in the Synchronized Trampoline.
3. Ashley Sherman competed in level 9 11//12 and under and placed second in Trampoline and placed second in Synchronized Trampoline 9 12 and under.
4. Michele Sherman placed third and in Synchronized Trampoline Level 10 14 and under.
5. Alana Cushing placed third in Synchronized Trampoline Level 10 14 and under.
NOTABLY - Ava Hernando was named to the USA Gymnastics 2017 World Age Group Team and will compete for Team USA at the World Age Group Championship in Sofia, Bulgaria in November.
Ava Hernando's parents, her two sisters, grandparents and her uncle were all able to make the Holmdel Township Meeting. Proud Holmdel Dad Joe Hernando stated, "We are lucky that we still have so much family still living in Holmdel, (my sister, her husband and 2 kids also live in Holmdel, but could not attend). We have lived in Holmdel for over 40 years. He continued, "We are so proud of accomplishments at the 2017 USA Gymnastics Trampoline & Tumbling National Championships. We are so very proud of our daughter Ava's accomplishments this year and look forward to her representing our Country and our Community as part of Team USA at the World Age Group Championships next month. Ava made a list of goals at the beginning of the year and she has been able to accomplish all of them. She spends 6 days a week in the gym and still finds a way to manage her schoolwork (she's a straight A honor student at Satz), and shares quality time with her friends. In the end, the success achieved by Ava and her teammates is a direct result of the hard work and dedication that they give to this sport, the incredible coaching and guidance that they receive at the Elite Trampoline Academy, and have the love and support of their families and friends."
The accolades ended with a fine round of applause at the talent, success and recognition of a job well done.
Click here for more great coverage of these talented gymnasts! http://www.tapinto.net/towns/holmdel-and-colts-neck/sections/sports/articles/bringing-home-the-gold-holmdel-gymnasts-ava-hern-1
like and follow like and follow like and follow like and well...you get the idea :-) thanks!