HOLMDEL, N.J. - The Holmdel Board of Education continues to move forward in project awards for Vision 2020. The recently approved referendum has many components. A significant component is the renovations to the recreation fields and related work. It was just approved at a Special Meeting held on August 15th.
Previously, the district rejected several bids that were significantly in excess of the funding estimated in the budget. After soliciting and rejecting high bids twice, they exercised their prerogative to engage in negotiations. They proved fruitful based on the agenda item to approve a contract with Applied Landscape Technologies for Field Reconstruction.
According to the district, "Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A:18A-5(c), if bids are rejected on two occasions because they are not reasonable as to price on the basis of cost estimates prepared by or on behalf of the Board before advertising for the bids, the contract may be negotiated and may be awarded after adoption of a resolution approved by the Board by a two-thirds affirmative vote".
The professionals working on behalf of the board received two proposals and selected Applied Landscape Technologies in the amount of $4,253,817. The resolution identified a number of items relevant to the bidding that were added, deducted or had minor modifications:
- Bid Add Alternate 1, Install Warning Tracks
- Bid Add Alternate 2, Install bullpens
- Bid Deduct Alternate 5, Basketball Court Resurfacing
- Bid Deduct Alternate 8, Eliminate sod of JV and Varsity Outfields
- Bid Deduct Alternate 9, Tennis Area Redesign
- Value Engineering 1, Salvage On-site Clay Infields
- Value Engineering 2, Scalp and Till Grass to Reduce Topsoil Import
- Value Engineering 4, Harley Rake Soil instead of Topsoil Screening."
- Value Engineering 6, Modify Irrigation Equipment Design
- Value Engineering 7, Modify Pavement Thickness for Designated Paths
- Value Engineering 8, Eliminate Clay Core for Detention Basin
- Value Engineering 9, Use Reclaimed On-site Asphalt as Dense Graded Aggregate
- Value Engineering 10, Use Precast Dugout Option
Now that a contract is awarded the project will finally be underway. Residents interested in the project schedule and related sports schedules should bookmark the holmdelschools.org website where timely information is normally conveyed.
In other business, a contract with the original architect, SSP Architects, was amended. An additional architect, Spiezle Architectural Group, was also awarded a contract for design and construction phase services. The next Holmdel Board of Education Meeting will be held on August 29th at the William R. Satz Shool on Crawfords Corner Road.