Letter to the Editor:
Eric Hinds has long been a zealous advocate and an aggressive leader for improvements to youth sports facilities in Holmdel, from his first days on the town committee, during his first term as mayor, all the way through his current term. Thanks in large part to his drive and leadership, there are numerous completed and planned improvements for youth sports that are long overdue, and begin to bring our facilities up to par with surrounding communities. These improvements include, but are not limited to:
- A lighted girls softball field to increase the time and opportunities for our girls to play softball
- Turf little league fields at Phillips Park to reduce games lost to bad weather
- Improvements to existing fields at Cross Farms park, including dugouts and batting cages for girls softball
- A tee ball field for our youngest baseball and softball players
- Improvements to soccer fields at Cross Farm Park
- A permanent home for Holmdel Lacrosse at a field next to Village school with a variety of improvements to that field.
While other candidates in this election claim that they have supported youth sports in Holmdel, look at the record. Other candidates were late to the party, initially opposing many of the sports and recreation improvements, and only supporting plans after Eric helped shape them and worked tirelessly to pass them. Eric has been a stronger supporter of youth sports for a longer time than any other candidate running in this election.
Other candidates talk about Eric’s support for athletics as support for "special interest groups". The children of Holmdel are NOT a special interest group — they are our future. Sports and recreation facilities for our children are an essential part of that future. Support that future, vote for Hinds/Liu for Holmdel Town Committee.