NEWARK, NJ - As a result of Governor Murphy’s recent executive order and with approval by the Board of Public Utilities, Public Service Electric & Gas Co. will be resuming work as safely and quickly as possible. Our employees and contractors will follow protocols guided by the CDC and New Jersey State Department of Health, as well as all directives from state and local governments.
For example, PSE&G already is in customer homes completing air conditioning, refrigerator and other appliance repairs. Service technicians have responded to more than 3,400 air conditioning calls within the past two weeks. More projects, such as connecting a gas line from a home to an upgraded main pipe as part of our Gas System Modernization Program, will resume June 1. For about two months due to the COVID-19 pandemic, PSE&G suspended most customer visits while still responding to emergencies such as gas leaks and no heat calls.
“Safety is always our top priority. We’re pleased to resume operations while maintaining critical safety protocols that protect our customers, our employees and their families,” said Joe Forline, PSE&G vice president for Gas Operations. “We also are currently continuing efficiencies born during the pandemic, including our temporary WorryFree Tech-Talk program that offers virtual repairs and services with live technicians. We thank our customers, who opted to wait for in-home appointments, for their patience, understanding and cooperation.”
WorryFree Tech-Talk allows technicians to assess repairs remotely and either walk customers through quick fixes or order parts that can arrive before an in-home PSE&G visit, which shortens repair times and improves service and the customer experience. When PSE&G employees need to interact with customers they follow social/physical distancing protocols and wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
PSE&G Safety Protocols
To better serve customers, PSE&G takes measures including but not limited to the following:
- Training and equipping employees with appropriate face coverings, eye protection, approved hand sanitizer (minimum 60% alcohol), and approved disinfecting spray and/or wipe products. (Single-use disposable coverall and single-use disposable boot coveralls also are utilized in some customers’ homes, based on responses to our pre-screening assessment.)
- Practicing social/physical distancing with our customers and crew members, whether inside premises or outside in the roadway by maintaining six feet (about two arms’ length) apart.
- Pre-screening customers, with questions regarding COVID-19 status and travel patterns, the day of service appointment prior to entry. PSE&G employees and contractors are asked the same questions before and during their shifts.
- Regularly cleaning and sanitizing tools, equipment and vehicles, as well as surfaces after the job task is complete, using CDC/EPA approved disinfectants.
- Decontaminating all reusable items (e.g., half-face respirator, goggles, safety glasses, hardhat, etc.) after each appointment.
PSE&G has many methods for customers to contact us, should they have questions, concerns or need service appointments, including:
PSE&G Customer Service 1-800-436-PSEG.
Go to pseg.com/myaccount to make or check on appointments.
Public Service Electric and Gas Co. (PSE&G) is New Jersey’s oldest and largest gas and electric delivery public utility, serving three-quarters of the state’s population. PSE&G is the winner of the ReliabilityOne Award for superior electric system reliability. PSE&G is a subsidiary of Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (PSEG) (NYSE:PEG), a diversified energy company. PSEG has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for North America for 12 consecutive years.
Visit PSEG at: