JERSEY CITY, NJ - According to Hudson County Clerk E. Junior Maldonado, Vote-By-Mail (VBM) ballots for this year's Primary Election were mailed last week to all voters who are registered Democrats and Republicans. Meanwhile, any unaffiliated or inactive voters who wish to vote in the Primary Election have been mailed applications, and they must declare a party in order to be mailed a ballot for the July 7 Primary. Voters who receive the VBM ballot, must read the instructions, and then fill out right away using blue or black ink and submit it, by:
- Mail it; or Hand-deliver it to the Board of Elections located at Hudson County Plaza- 257 Cornelison Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07302.
- “Drop It” in one of the County’s Ballot Drop-Boxes (installed by the Hudson County Board of Elections) that will be located at: Hoboken City Hall- 94 Washington St. Hoboken, NJ 07030 (Newark St. Entrance); City of Jersey City Hall Annex- One Jackson Square, Jersey City, NJ 07305; Kearny Town Hall- 402 Kearny Ave. Kearny, NJ 07032; North Bergen Town Hall- 4233 Kennedy Blvd. North Bergen, NJ 07047 (Municipal Chambers Entrance); City of Union City City Hall- 3715 Palisade Ave. Union City, NJ 07087
Sample ballots will also be mailed to each voter and are available on the Hudson County Clerk website: https://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/july-7-2020-primary-election-sample-ballots/ These sample ballots will include your polling location. Voters who go to a polling location on July 7 will only vote provisionally (with a paper ballot) since they were already mailed a VBM ballot. Voting machines will be made available only for people with disabilities. Important items to note about the ballot:
- 1. Don't detach anything
- 2. Use blue or black ink to fill in ovals completely (no check marks or X’s)
- 3. Place the ballot in the smaller, certification envelope and sign the certification envelope
- 4. Place the completed ballot in the outer envelope so that your name shows through the window
- 5. Drop off at the municipal building in the ballot drop box, mail it via USPS, or deliver it to the Board of Elections Office in Jersey City.
- 6. Practice putting your completed ballot together before you seal the envelopes. The deadlines are as follows: Deadline to APPLY by Mail for Primary Election Vote-By-Mail ballot/unaffiliated voters to declare a party- June 30
The Deadline for a walk-in to obtain a Vote-By-Mail ballot is July 7—the day of Primary Election Day: July 7, polls close at 8pm. However, voters may walk into the County Clerk’s Office any business day beginning on June 22 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM and on July 7 until 7:30 PM to drop off a VBM application and be mailed a ballot. (*The Clerk's Office will be open only 9am to 1pm on Friday, July 3 and CLOSED on July 4) Deadline to mail/postmark or drop off a VBM ballot- July 7 at 8pm.
For more information on Election Services provided by the Office of the Hudson County Clerk, E. Junior Maldonado, please visit the office located at 257 Cornelison Avenue-4th Floor, Jersey City, New Jersey and or contact us by phone at (201) 369-3470- option # 6.
Sign up for TAPinto E-News alerts to be the first to read about all things local!
Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Steve Lenox and tell him about it.