JERSEY CITY, NJ - After a long battle with COVID-19  which he is reported to have contracted during a trip to Korea two months ago, Ward D. Councilman Michael Yun died Monday.

“He was a great coworker and a tireless advocate for the people of Jersey City,” said Mayor Steven Fulop in a tweet. “More than that he was a great father, husband, and grandfather. I can speak for the entire JC community that we are devastated.”

Although sometimes political opponents, Fulop and Yun, who has represented the Heights section of Jersey City since 2013, had recently come together on the issue of funding local schools.

Sign Up for Jersey City Newsletter
Our newsletter delivers the local news that you can trust.

As reported previously Yun had been in intensive care and on oxygen since late March.

“Michael went back to Korea about two months ago,” said his colleague Richard Boggiano. “He apparently got sick there. When he came back, he spent five days in a hospital in New York. They released him, but he really never fully recovered. He wasn’t well. When I saw him at our last council meeting, I told him to go to the doctor. He said he was okay. He said he had a son that was a doctor.”

Boggiano, who has been Yun’s friend since first meeting him in 1973, said he was devastated.

“I’m going to miss him tremendously,” Boggiano said.

Carmine Disbrow, president of the JCPOBA, called Yun’s death “a tragic loss and a reminder of the danger we are all facing from this virus.

Asked to recall what it was like to interact with Yun, Disbrow said that “no matter the issue you knew you were going to get an honest answer from Councilman Yun. His only goal was to make Jersey City better.”

Follow us on Facebook and sign up for TAPinto Jersey City E-News alerts to be the first to read about all things Jersey City!

Download the FREE TAPinto App!  Click here for Android - Click here for iOS for breaking news, traffic/weather alerts and special offers.

Know a story we should share with readers? Email editor Steve Lenox and tell him about it.