CROSS RIVER, N.Y. – Due to circumstances beyond their control, the seniors on John Jay’s boys lacrosse team, winners of two straight Section 1 Class B titles, will never get a chance to three-peat.
But despite the early end to their careers, the mark this class left on the John Jay lacrosse program will never be forgotten.
The Indians coaches—head coach Tim Schurr, Jeremy Guski, Nick Daniello, and Sean O’Rourke—said as much in a joint message to their senior student-athletes.
“To our seniors, we thank you for your hard work, dedication and commitment to continuing to make our lacrosse team the special program that our community values,” the coaches said. “Throughout your time here we have accomplished great things together that include an overall record of 48-14, two sectional titles over Yorktown and a state championship game appearance. We will continue to honor your legacy going forward and thank you again for leaving a lasting impression on the next generation of John Jay lacrosse players.”
Before we say goodbye to the Class of 2020, let’s learn more about them:
Captain, midfield, No. 19
- Future Plans: Penn State Business School
- Favorite Pre-game Ritual: Hanging out in the parking lot listening to music with the team
- Favorite JJ Lax Memory: The dinners at Coach Schurr’s house
- Advice for Younger Players: Always work hard and soak in as much information as you can from this coaching staff.
Goalie, No. 4
- Future Plans: Syracuse University
- Favorite Pre-game Ritual: Walking out to the field with Aidan Koff on game day before everyone for warmups
- Favorite JJ Lax Memory: Beating Manhasset and going to the state finals
- Advice for Younger Players: Play every moment like it’s your last.
Captain, defense, No. 8
- Future Plans: Colgate University, economics
- Favorite Pre-game Ritual: Huddling up with Aidan Koff and the defense before the game.
- Favorite JJ Lax Memory: Beating Manhasset under the lights in the Albany Stadium to get to the state finals
- Advice for Younger Players: Listen to your coaches and have fun.
Attack, No. 11
- Future Plans: Connecticut College
- Favorite Pre-game Ritual: Playing music in the parking lot
- Favorite JJ Lax Memory: Spring break last season when we all bonded as a team and we all became better from that week of practices
- Advice for Younger Players: Work as hard as you can now because it will pay off later.
Attack, No. 20
- Future Plans: Indiana University, finance
- Favorite Pre-game Ritual: Have a banana
- Favorite JJ Lax Memory: The Pit
- Advice for Younger Players: Don’t take anything for granted and treat everything like a real game.
Defense, No. 2
- Future Plans: Graduate college
- Favorite Pre-game Ritual: “We ready”
- Favorite JJ Lax Memory: The bus rise home after beating Yorktown
- Advice for Younger Players: Play smart and focus on the little details.
Attack, No. 34
- Future Plans: Pre-med and studying abroad
- Favorite Pre-game Ritual: Ice, wallball, getting pumped up in the locker room
- Favorite JJ Lax Memory: Beating Manhasset
- Advice for Younger Players: Make the most out of your career and have fun.
Midfield, No. 3
- Future Plans: Lacrosse at SUNY Oneonta
- Favorite Pre-game Ritual: Hanging and playing music with the team before the games
- Favorite JJ Lax Memory: Running with the team to the student section after winning the section finals vs. Yorktown
- Advice for Younger Players: Never settle for being average; always strive to be your greatest self.
Follow us on Twitter (@Halston_Sports).
To our Beloved Community: During this crisis, we can’t continue to operate entirely as we have been doing when we are only earning a fraction of our previous advertising revenue and still have to pay 100 percent of our payroll. Without that payroll, we would be unable to serve the community with the news and important information you have come to expect. If you feel that we’ve made a positive difference in your town, we ask that you send us a contribution to keep your community newspaper alive and strong by pressing on our PayPal button HERE.