ELIZABETH, NJ - Trinitas Regional Medical Center is celebrating 20 years since the merger that gave birth to the Elizabeth-based institution. On January 6, 2000, the leadership of Elizabeth General Medical Center and St. Elizabeth Hospital joined forces during a ceremony held in historic Boxwood Hall on East Jersey Street. Previously in 1990, Elizabeth General had acquired the City's third hospital, Alexian Brothers Hospital.
Staff members plan to celebrate the milestone throughout the year with a number of special projects, publications, media events and signage throughout Trinitas' three major campuses.
"Since the Latin word 'Trinitas' comes from the Holy Trinity and also represents the number three, it's a very appropriate name for a Catholic institution that embodies the history and soul of the three hospitals that served Elizabeth for well over 100 years," explained Gary S. Horan, FACHE, President and CEO of Trinitas.
The City's first hospital, Elizabeth General Medical Center, was established in 1879 as the Elizabeth General Hospital and Dispensary. Next, in 1890, the Alexian Brothers Hospital was founded by the Illinois-based Alexian Order. St. Elizabeth Hospital was established by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth in 1905.
"The three hospitals developed rich traditions by providing care to anyone who came to their doors. With the community's support they flourished and grew to provide both general and specialized care," Mr. Horan explained. These specialized services became Centers of Excellence under Trinitas.
"Today we have no less than 12 Centers of Excellence, ranging from Behavioral Health, Wound Healing, Cancer, Cardiology, Renal, Maternity and others," he added.
Trinitas has also grown to offer care in every county in New Jersey, mainly through its Behavioral Health division which is one of the largest hospital-based services in the state. Behavioral services such as the Residential Treatment Program and the Dually-Diagnosed Unit are unique in New Jersey. In 2018 Trinitas acquired the Bayonne Community Mental Health Center.
Established in 1891, the Elizabeth General Medical Center School of Nursing continues to provide quality nursing education throughout the region as The Trinitas School of Nursing. Now one of the largest hospital-based nursing schools in the nation, it was the first to be accredited as a Center of Excellence by the National League for Nursing.
The medical residency program of St. Elizabeth Hospital flourishes under Trinitas, and provides quality education to more than 50 physicians in training. It is known world-wide for its excellent programs.
Trinitas' Renal program was founded by the Alexian Brothers, and was one of the first to provide dialysis services to area residents. It is the End Stage Renal program serving Eastern Union County, and today provides dialysis through an inpatient unit and three satellite centers.
"Perhaps Trinitas' most exciting developments are the ones that occurred most recently, such as the expansion and renovation of the Emergency Department, the establishment of an Ambulatory Surgery Center, and the construction of the Connie Dwyer Breast Center," Mr. Horan stated. "It is a pleasure to take time during our 20th year to recognize our outstanding employees, physicians, students, Trustees and volunteers. For many years they have been the heart and soul of quality healthcare not only in Elizabeth but throughout the region and state."
Sign up for TAPinto Linden E-News alerts to be the first to read about all things Linden!
Know a story we should share with readers? Email Us and tell us about it.
Looking for marketing opportunities for your business? Click here.