June 4 is the deadline for prospective school board candidates to submit nominating petitions to place their names on the November ballot.
The Livingston Board of Education will have two vacancies in the Annual School Election on Nov. 5, the same date of the General Election.
The deadline for filing nomination petitions to run for the (2) three-year terms is 4:00 p.m., Tuesday, June 4, with the Essex County Clerk.
The legal requirements to become a member of the Board of Education are as follows:
- Be able to read and write.
- Hold U.S. citizenship and one year's residency in the school district.
- Be registered to vote in the district before filing the nominating petition.
- Have no interest in any contract with, or claim against, the board.
- Not hold office as mayor or member of the municipal governing body.
- Not simultaneously hold two elective offices.
- Not be disqualified from membership for the conviction of certain crimes. (Within 30 days of election or appointment to the board, a member must undergo a criminal history background investigation through the State Department of Education.)
State law requires that all school-board nominating petitions for the November election must be delivered to the Essex County Clerk by 4:00 p.m. on June 4, 2013. School-board nominating petitions for the November election cannot be returned to the local school district office.
Essex County Clerk's Office, Election Division
465 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd Room 246, Newark, NJ 07102
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
For information, call (973) 387-7314.
NJSBA’s Candidate Kit includes a nominating petition, information about legal qualifications for school board candidacy and the role of the school board member. Information about the New Jersey School Ethics Act and important dates in the school election process are also included in the kit. For information, call NJSBA (609) 278-5202.