CEDAR GROVE, NJ — Essex County residents are invited to participate in the Essex County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day on May 7, sponsored by the County of Essex and the Essex County Utilities Authority.
The collection will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Old Essex County Hospital Center, 125 Fairview Avenue in Cedar Grove.
Materials being collected at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day include:
- pesticides and herbicides
- paint thinners and solvents
- oil-based paints and stains
- chemistry sets
- barbecue propane tanks
- pool chemicals
- automotive fluids such as antifreeze, motor oil and steering fluid
- darkroom and photographic chemicals
- lithium and NiCad batteries
- fluorescent light bulbs and ballasts
- mercury and products containing mercury, gasoline and kerosene
- household cleaning fluids
- car batteries
- home fire extinguishers
- driveway sealer
- aerosol spray paints.
All containers must be five gallons or smaller or 10 pounds or lighter.
Items not being collected include:
- latex paint (which can be dried and disposed of with regular waste)
- unlabeled or unidentifiable materials
- regulated medical or infectious waste
- commercial or industrial waste
- empty containers
- explosives, munitions, ordnance or highly reactive materials
- household batteries (AA, AAA, C, D, 9V)
- smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms
The Essex County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day is for Essex County residents only. Residents are not charged when they bring materials, but they must provide proof of residency at the site. Commercial businesses may not drop off materials.
For more information, call the Essex County Utilities Authority at 973-792-9060 or visit www.ecuanj.com.