Members of the Livingston Historical Society invite the public to visit their headquarters, “ The Old Force Homestead “ located on 366 South Livingston Ave. in Livingston NJ on Sunday May 8th (Mother's Day)
The historic house and museum will be open from 2:00pm to 4:00pm for docent tours .
Built in 1745 by T. Ward it later became the home of the Force family, who lived in the one room and loft house until the 1800ties when it was enlarged to its present size.
In 1962 the property was purchased by the Township of Livingston and is probably the best example of early colonial architecture in the area.
The Historical Society was formed with the purpose of re-constructing the house which was in disrepair. Having received generous donations of valuable antiques, the interior rooms have been restored and furnished to authenticity through the efforts of dedicated volunteers.
On display are: a large spinning wheel used for spinning wool, several smaller ones used for flax, hand-made quilts and lace, an original Hitchcock rocking bench, Livingston's first postmaster Frederick Chapin's desk, grandfather's clocks from the Edison Foundation and many items of colonial interest.
The 2nd floor museum displays several elegant gowns and shoes from that era. Also a collection of arrowheads perhaps found in the areas once inhabited by small bands of Lenape Indians.
Old farming equipment and tools are kept in the large barn and many rudimentary household utensils are found in the buttery.
The tours are given free of charge, but donations will be gratefully accepted.
Special or private tours may be arranged by calling Helen Shumsky at 973-992-3017