WEST ORANGE, NJ - The first-ever group of Girls on the Run, a national organization that "inspires girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using an experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running," will be held at Pleasantdale School beginning on Sept. 17.
Integrating a hands-on curriculum that incorporates running, the goal of Girls on the Run is to reach out to girls in grades 3-8 and help them to:
- Recognize their power and responsibility to be intentional in their decision making
- Embrace their differences and find strength in their connectedness
- Express joy, optimism and gratitude through their words, thoughts and actions
- Nurture their physical, emotional and spiritual health
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent
- Stand up for themselves and others
The new West Orange chapter will be geared for girls in grades 3-5. Nicole Turin-Diaz, a parent of a third-grader in the West Orange school district, will be one of the coaches for the innovative and empowering program. The program is open to all--you do not need to be a West Orange resident to participate. The program will run on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:45 to 5 p.m. at Pleasantdale School.
At the end of 10 weeks, the girls will participate in a Run/Walk 5K with a parent or guardian.
The fee for the 10 week session is $95.00, and financial assistance is available.