I really would like to do more charity work with my kids. With the pandemic it’s been hard to do that. I want to raise them knowing how important it is to give back. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that?
Dear Giving Back,
What a wonderful gift to give to your children. Probably the most important gift of all.
Kids listen to you, but they get more out of watching your actions. There are so many fun ways to contribute to the world. Here’s a few of my favorite ideas. I hope you can use a few of them.
- Buying the person in back of you coffee.
- Shoveling a neighbor's driveway.
- Cooking a big pot of soup and giving it away to a neighbor with some fresh bread.
- Donating old toys
- Offering to walk someone’s dog on your street.
- Leaving change In vending machines.
- Bringing donuts to the people working at the post office or police station.
- Drawing pictures or writing inspirational cards and delivering them to senior homes.
- Showing up after school with a few pizzas to share with the parents and kids on the playground.
- Tipping the gas station attendant.
- Baking cookies or brownies and dropping them off to friends.
- Picking up trash around a local park.
- Let someone go in front of you in line at the supermarket.
- Leave letters of encouragement on people’s cars.
- Pay for someone’s meal at a restaurant anonymously.
- Plant a tree.
- Send a letter to family members instead of texting.
- Pay for someone’s dry cleaning.
- Write a list of thing’s you adore about a friend.
- Give a few of your favorite books away yo friends.
- Take time to appreciate the sunrise/sunset.
- Take a handful of change and find a fountain to throw wishes into.
- But your waiter or waitress dessert.
- Make vision boards together
- Have an anonymous flower bouquet delivered to someone who would never expect it.
Have fun with these ideas! Some of them I still haven’t done yet, but I plan on doing soon.
All the very best,