LIVINGSTON, NJ — Although Jan. 21 will be a day off for most as the country celebrates Martin Luther King Day, the Livingston Committee for Diversity and Inclusion (LCDI) will invite the community to attend the township's annual "Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service" at the Livingston Senior and Community Center.
During this day of service and celebration, community members will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of service projects from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., such as collecting donations of food and items for the Birthday Box among others that are listed below. Ike's Bagel Cafe will provide a bagel brunch at 11:30 a.m., followed by lunch provided by Blaze Pizza at 12:45 p.m.
"This event reminds us in Livingston that just because it is a day off, doesn't mean we can't do our part in service to our community,” said Billy Fine, LCDI interim co-chair. “As we like to say, 'it is a day on, not a day off.'”
In addition to the service projects, LCDI members will read passages throughout the day from books borrowed from the Livingston Public Library.
The program will begin at noon with Brian O’Shea, who will read from King’s speeches, followed by remarks from Mayor Al Anthony as well as Fine and fellow interim co-chair Keith Hines. Between 1:15 p.m. and 1:30 p.m., Anthony and the LCDI will lead an indoor march through the halls of the community center, where participants will join together in singing "We Shall Overcome."
The following groups and individuals have already committed to participate in the event:
- The League of Women Voters will be registering voters
- Girl Scout Troop 20290
- Charlotte Heilpern will collect donations for the Mount Pleasant Animal Shelter for her her Bat Mitzvah project
- The PT Council and Hillside PTA
- Presbyterian Church and Clergy Association
- The Livingston Police Department will host a poster contest for children and teens of all ages. The winning poster, chosen by Police Chief Gary Marshuetz, will be featured in the press and displayed at Police Headquarters.
- West Essex YMCA
- NJ 11th For Change will host a letter-writing and poster-making service station to send to our elected representatives.
- Boy Scout Troop 16
- Livingston Neighbors Helping Neighbors will be making PB&J Sandwiches — volunteers needed!
- Livingston Robotics Club will be showcasing a demonstration
- Livingston Kiwanis Club will be making Hygiene Kits for the Homeless
- Livingston Lions Club
- The LCDI will be accepting canned food and non-perishable donations.
- South Mountain Troop 28 will be collecting new and unopened toys and supplies for the Birthday Box Project.