LIVINGSTON, NJ — After a passing motorist reported a strange color/odor of smoke coming from the chimney at 61 North Livingston Avenue on Monday afternoon, the Livingston Fire Department discovered a fire burning in the chimney stack.

According to Fire Chief Christopher Mullin, a build up of creosote had ignited and was burning.

“We set up our ladder truck and extinguished the fire from the interior with minimal damage to the interior living room wall,” said Mullin. “The homeowner was home and advised.”

Sign Up for E-News

Mullin said the responders vented the smoke out of the house and that there were no injuries in this incident.

To obtain local news and events faster, download the new TAPinto for iPhone or Android free in the Google Play Store and the Apple Store by searching for “tapinto” or “tapinto.net.”