NEWARK, NJ - A State of Emergency has been declared due to the winter storm. NJ State Offices had an early dismissal at 1:00 p.m. today and all NJ State Offices will be closed tomorrow Jan. 27.
In addition, the County Executive and Sheriff Armando Fontoura have followed suit in issuing a snow emergency effective from Monday, Jan. 26 at 4:00 p.m. to Wednesday, Jan. 28 at 9:00 a.m.
DiVincenzo and Fontoura are asking motorists to avoid parking their vehicles on county roadways so Public Works crews can remove snow and spread salt more efficiently.
DiVincenzo also encourages property owners and residents to help maximize public safety by not shoveling or plowing snow from their private properties onto county roadways. Snow removed from sidewalks, driveways and parking lots should be kept on-site.
In addition, Essex County has announced a series of closings and schedule changes due to the blizzard.
“The blizzard that is coming to our area is forecasted to bring over a foot of snow,” said Essex County Executive Joseph N. DiVincenzo, Jr. “To maximize the safety or our residents and assist with the storm clean up, we will be closing some of our facilities or suspending services during the storm. Most importantly, we want our residents to be safe and only travel outdoors if it is necessary.”
County facilities that will be closed or services suspended are as follows:
- Essex County Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs: Turtle Back Zoo and Codey Arena are closed on Monday, Jan. 26 and Tuesday, Jan. 27. All senior buildings and congregate meal sites in the parks closed at 1 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 26 and will be closed on Tuesday, Jan. 27 and Wednesday, Jan. 28. All park roads will close at 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 26 and will be closed on Tuesday, Jan. 27. The Deer Management Program in South Mountain Reservation has been cancelled on Tuesday, January 27.
- Essex County Vocational Technical School District: Dismissal was at 12:45 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 26 and schools will be closed on Tuesday, January 27.
- Essex County Correctional Facility: There is no visitation scheduled on Monday, Jan. 26 and Tuesday, Jan. 27.
- Essex County Juvenile Detention Facility: There is no visitation scheduled on Monday, Jan. 26 and Tuesday, Jan. 27.
- Essex County Hospital Center: It is suggested that family and friends visit patients on a different day.
- Essex County Special Transportation System: Buses stopped running at 1:00 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 26 and will not operate on Tuesday, Jan. 27.
- Essex County WAVE and JARC Transportation Services: The last WAVE buses will stop running at 2:30 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 26. JARC buses will maintain their 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. pick up schedules on Monday, Jan. 26, unless NJ Transit cancels its services. Night Owl transportation services are cancelled on Monday, Jan. 26. On Tuesday, Jan. 27, WAVE and JARC services are cancelled; a determination on Night Owl services will be made at a later time.
All other County offices will be open.