While we are all home social distancing, you might want to try some of the activities listed below to keep your kids busy, courtesy, of the British Swim School in Livingston's "Things to Do with Kids" column. In addition, it is National Goof Off Day on March 22, so you can also try some of these activities on the 22nd too.
MARCH 22 IS NATIONAL GOOF OFF DAY
We are all home, so celebrating this holiday won’t be hard. If you are social distancing with your family, take some time out of your day to do something fun and silly together to let off some steam. It is a tough and serious time right now, so adding a little levity to the day will go a long way. You can play Charades, have a contest to see who can make the silliest face, dance, start a band. Regardless of what you do, it will make a memorable moment in time for your kids to remember years from now when they remember this period of time. Below are some other ideas that you can do on 3/22 or on any day with your kids:
- Here are 100 Ways to Have Fun with Your Kids for Free or Cheap (obviously ignore the ones requiring you to leave your house or make prank calls), courtesy of zenhabits.com
- Check out this In Interactive Frida Kahlo Exhibition, courtesy of Google, which also offers 31 more online museums and so much more to explore online
- Watch a movie together, These Streaming Services Are Offering Free 30-Day Trials Right Now (you can watch a lot in 30 days
- Stream stories for free on Audible with your kids
- You Can Watch Broadway Musicals Online for Free Here
- Chalk your Walk on March 21, 2020 (Draw of write messages on your driveway or sidewalk with chalk, and then head outside and take a walk looking at the notes and prints on your neighbors’ driveways)
- Join your neighbors, nightly, starting Sun., March 22, at 7 pm, for and Appreciation Applause, to cheer and applaud each other.
- Make some of these crafts from DadLab on YouTube
- Take a Brain Break with These 10 YouTube Channels With Movement-Encouraging Videos For Kids, courtesy of PopSugar.com
- Your Kids Can Now Watch Astronauts Reading Stories from Space
- Stream full-length educational films while Liberty Science Center is closed
- Here are At-Home Resources for Kids (and their grownups) from Kiwi.com
- Try these 16 Card Games That Will Turn Your Students into Math Aces
- Check out these 20 Virtual Field Trips to Take with Your Kids
- Take a Virtual Tour of the Cape May Zoo
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY…
The next time you sit down for a family dinner, toss out some of these facts to spark a lively and informative family conversation. After dinner, look up some of these dates and facts and explore the historical moments as a family.
- On March 21, 1963 – The infamous Alcatraz prison is closed.
- On March 23, 1775 – Patrick Henry declared, "Give me liberty, or give me death!"
- On March 24, 1958 – Elvis Presley joined the U.S. Army.
- On March 25, 1957 – The European Economic Community (ECC) was established by the Treaty of Rome.
- On March 26, 1827 – Ludwig von Beethoven died in Vienna, Austria.
- On March 26, 1885 – The Eastman Dry Plate and Chemical Company manufactured the first motion picture film.