I’ve been hearing a lot about “purpose” lately. I’m a married woman with two high-school-age kids. I feel like we have a comfortable lifestyle, and I never really want for anything. I guess I just feel like I may be “missing something.” I am feeling bored with the same old routine these days. How do I find my purpose?
Content but bored
Dear Content but bored,
Great question! I feel like purpose is on everyone’s mind these days. Purpose is a funny thing. It’s not easy to get to. The thing about purpose is that it finds you. What you want also wants you.
There is a process that one needs to go through in order to figure out their true calling.
- You have to be clear minded. Meaning: you have to work on yourself daily. Work on loving and caring for yourself. Self-care is number one. Meditation, sleep, healthy food, movement, healthy relationships, dreams.
- Have some goals in mind for what you want your future to look like. I love making a vision board every year. It’s a great way to visualize what you would like to see manifest into your life.
- Start doing whatever you do every day, do it your best. Go the extra mile even if it’s just the dishes. Take pride in whatever you are doing. Dropping the kids off to school, sending an email, walking the dog. Make it a new habit to do your best.
- Be more aware of what you are focusing on or giving your attention to during the day. Try and give attention to the things that bring you joy and happiness. Not the things that bring you down.
- The biggest secret to discovering your purpose is to know what you want. What do you want to do? Ask yourself, “What did I used to really like when I was younger?” You already have an idea but you may have forgotten over time.
There is an excellent book called "The Big Leap” by Gay Hendricks. I highly recommend it to anyone in your situation! It helped me so much when I was having the same thoughts and feelings about my life.
Good luck with everything! Take it easy on yourself. You are an amazing person, and the world is a better place because of you. :)
All the very best,