MONTCLAIR, NJ — Montclair High School was placed on lockdown on Wednesday, officials confirmed. Nearby Renaissance Middle School had also been affected, since it is in close proximity to Montclair High School. However, after no weapon was found by 1 p.m., the lockdown had been lifted.
School district officials updated parents throughout the incident. In a statement to parents, Superintendent Nathan Parker stated that there was "no credible threat" and "no weapon."
"Montclair High School and Renaissance are currently in a lockdown situation," the superintendent said in a preliminary message to families. "This means you cannot pick up your children, and if they are already out of the building they should not return to the premises."
He continued, "The police are on site as well as the Montclair Administration while they conduct their investigation."
Once the lockdown was lifted, the below information was provided by the Montclair High School principal.
Principal Anthony Grosso sent a follow-up message to parents informing them of details of the incident.
"It was brought to our attention during lunch that a student may have had a weapon in their possession," he said. "Montclair High School was placed into a lockdown and released into a shelter-in-place. The Montclair Police Department was immediately notified. The student was identified and apprehended with their belongings. The Montclair Police Department found that the student did not have a weapon in their possession."
This incident is still under investigation by the Montclair Police Department, Grosso added.