LIVINGSTON, NJ — A fire that broke out on Thursday night at a vacant home on South Livingston Avenue is currently under investigation, according to Livingston Fire Chief Chris Mullin, who said the fire was “of suspicious circumstance” because there was no electricity at the home, which has been vacant for “anywhere between 15 and 20 years.”
One firefighter who sustained a minor head injury was treated and released, according to the chief.
In response to the global health crisis, which has caused the township to declare a local State of Emergency and residents to quarantine inside their homes, Mullin said the all-volunteer Livingston Fire Department is following all guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as it relates to emergency personnel.
“We have restricted access to the firehouse only during times of emergency calls,” said Mullin. “If we respond to a suspected case at a residence, we are wearing our personal protective equipment (PPE) and have instituted a decontamination immediately following exiting the house.
“As far as our response houses, we are limiting personnel to essential one or two firefighters enter on routine call such as fire alarms, carbon monoxide gas leaks, etc. We have instituted and installed (on the apparatus) decontamination buckets with PPE, such as masks, gloves and goggles along with a bleach water solution to decontaminate if we believe there is a potential exposure to firefighters.”
According to Mullin, the department has also canceled all meetings and drills for the foreseeable future until the crisis ends.